Saturday, February 1, 2014

The End of Extreme Poverty? I certainly hope so.

I read a really heart-touching article in Upfront Magazine called The End of Extreme Poverty? by Nicholas D. Kristof. It wrote about how over the past century, poverty levels have lowered A LOT and how by 2030, we might be able to end severe poverty. I thought it was so inspiring and gave me many emotions. I really want to help make a difference in the world and working towards getting rid of poverty is a perfect way to start.It made me think a lot about the world and how lucky I am to just be healthy and going to school.
As I read The Extreme End of Poverty? I think that Nicholas D. Kristof wanted us to know as readers that the impossible is becoming possible. Poverty is such a large issue (something he speaks about continuously throughout the article) and over the past century or so, banks have been donating, doctors volunteering and people trying their best to help the less fortunate, and it is really making a difference. A few mindblowing facts the article states are that in 24 years, cases of polio have dropped from 350,000 people in 120 countries has dropped to 123 people in 3 countries! Between 2000 and 2012, the amount of people taking AIDS drugs has gone from less than 200,000 to 9.7 million! There are so many facts like these provided to show how much of a difference is being made.
When I read the article and facts, I think Nicolas D. Kristof wanted me to feel proud of the world, and I do. An issue as large as poverty is on its way to becoming extinct and I feel inspired. It makes me feel that anything is possible and really teaches me to never give up, because if all the people had stopped helping the less fortunate after 10 years because they were tired, we’d be nowhere. This relates to school and working. People who give up because they didn’t succeed right away will never know if they could have done something extraordinary for themselves or the world. I, also, feel sad for the less fortunate and it makes me want to help even more. After reading this article, I want to help finish what others started and try to help the less fortunate much more.
I think that this article was really great and a boost to help everyone want to finish and succeed. Living in NYC, I can really relate to seeing poverty on the streets. I find organizations that help homeless or hungry people and I think that it’s great that these people have someone to lean on, someone to help. I think it’s so inspiring to think that the world is getting rid of one of its greatest problems and love the feeling that I am helping when I give my old clothes to the Salvation Army or giving $10 to the sick or bringing in 3 cans to school to give to a hungry family. I think this article was written in a way to lift people’s spirits, and it certainly worked on me.

No comments:

Post a Comment